Beginning of the semester, I remember talking about restricted usage of the internet in China, such as blockade of Facebook, censorship of the phone call, and so on. Here is another article of conflict between Chinese government and Google. According to this article, China's State Bureau of Surveying and Mapping confirmed that it has not received an application from Google for a license for Google Maps service. Google’s response was, "We are examining the regulations to understand their impact on our maps products in China." In fact, China has given licenses to 105 Web sites that provide online mapping in the country, including Baidu, Sina, Nokia, and China Mobile. Google had various conflicts between Chinese government with censorship issues beginning of their entering to Chinese market. I believe that as China’s market and economy grows, the government will slowly lose their power to control everything including people’s right to know.
Minji Choi






4 comments:
I read this article too and found and agree that the Chinese government will lose it's power over control (at least I hope so).
The bigger question is, when? We agree that the Government can not control the citizens forever, but what do you think is the timeline on such a major event? With telecommunications and the growing economy of China, I could see things rapidly progressing over the next few years.
Maybe I should read the blog before posting articles myself, since we covered the same thing Minji! I like your questions about Google Maps getting shut down in China. How long can China be a censor? The country seems to be going through an internet revolution, similar to what happened in Western countries when things like Facebook and Wikileaks came out. In fact, that revolution is still happening in the west. It will be interesting to see how China handles it.
It is interesting that China is trying to control something as broad a this. I agree with Minji that the government will gradually loose control as their market expands.
Post a Comment