By HYUNG-JIN KIM

March 30, 2011

Associated Press

For decades Japan and South Korea have disputed over which country controls some islets that are located between them. The islets are basically controlled by South Korea but claimed be Japan. These islets are valuable to either country because they have rich fishing areas around them and also lie near deposits of methane hydrate, which can be used to produce natural gas. Recently, ties have been strong between the two governments and South Korea has put together a lot of aid to help with the earthquake recovery. Japan recently approved a history textbook that indicates the islets are theirs, this has stirred up the controversy and brought a sour taste South Koreans who have been helping in the relief efforts for Japan.

Sam Gardner

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

2 comments:

Brad said...

I find it interesting to see this cold conflict in Asia. I wonder if anything will ever come of this or if it will just be a tense issue that never leads to anything happening.

Kellyn said...

Oftentimes I am idealistic about conflict and think that there can always be a solution that both parties agree upon. But after reading this article, I wonder if such a solution is possible for Japan and Korea?

Another article I read was in the March Ensign about the Japanese and Korean people having a long-standing hatred towards each other. I think it is sad that little disagreements can explode into decade long disputes.

Post a Comment