I'm sure a lot of us are wondering about how the earthquake is going to affect our study abroad. I'm anticipating going to class tonight and hearing what Sherstin and Prof. Carter have to share with us.
I've been following the Japan earthquake news more closely because I have a friend serving in Tokyo on a mission. As lots of you probably know, the Church had a press conference yesterday announcing that all Sendai and Tokyo missionaries are being reassigned to other missions in southern Japan.
My friend's parents posted two e-mails from the Tokyo mission president, Steve Albrecht, whom we are supposed to visit on our study abroad . You can read the e-mails here and here. --Philip Volmar
Here's an excerpt from President Albrecht:
Dear Parents and Loved Ones of Japan Tokyo Missionaries:
Now that things have settled down a little, I wanted to write each of you and provide an update on the earthquake, our mission and your missionary. As you know, the 9.0 earthquake hit Japan at 2:46 p.m. last Friday. At the time, we had 60 missionaries in the church next to the mission home for training. Fortunately, the missionaries from the areas of our mission that were were at most risk because of the Tsunami (Urayasu and the Chiba Zone) were all here for that training. It became obvious very quickly that this was a major quake. We had just finished the training and were saying good bye to each other when it hit. There is a field of grass next to the church without any overhead wires and so I had all missionaries go outside and stand in that field. The major quake lasted a long time--probably a couple of minutes. It was followed by numerous aftershocks, which are still happening today and may continue for some time, but the aftershocks are smaller and becoming more infrequent and probably won't cause any
serious damage.







0 comments:
Post a Comment