I am a global supply chain emphasis student and find it interesting to read about the inner-workings of our massive global supply chain. I have read a lot of news how the earthquake/tsunami in Japan has hurt manufacturers in Japan. However, we need to realize that these affects are not confined to Japan manufacturers. We are seeing how disruptions in the supply chain are causing problems for Korean based firms as well as American-based firms. This article talks about how some Korean manufacturing plants, especially in the automobile industry, are having shortage problems of critical parts imported from Japan. I think it is important to realize as students and future managers that we don’t live in a Vacuum. Our decisions will affect more than just our company because we live in global economy now.

-Steven Hall

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

1 comments:

Joseph Fitch said...

IT is very true. I too am supply chain, and the earthquake has affected much more that those who were devastated by it. A sad truth, but I would not be surprised to see an increase in price of vehicles for a couple years. I have also heard that many factories are shutting down which will greatly hurt the bottom line of these industries this fiscal year.

Post a Comment