What was initially a natural disaster soon turned into a manmade disaster in Japan as a nuclear plant became suspect of emitting harmful radiation. There are several companies as well as individuals in Japan and abroad who are concerned with potential radiation leaks and have been ordering radiation detectors to monitor goods that are entering their businesses. Detectors such as the Geiger counters have been flying off the shelves of one west coast business which sold out in a just a few short weeks after the quake. I particularly like the article because it iterates the idea that we live in a globalized world and in answer to the cliché expression: What does something have to do with the price of tea in China? is something important for the business owners in America. It is interesting how an earthquake in Japan can cause an increase in business in a completely different area of the world and also shows how individuals who are quick to adapt to crisis could potentially predict emerging needs and a post-crisis business opportunities.
-Nick Romano






1 comments:
I think that is very interesting how some companies have been negatively affected by this disaster while it has been very profitable for some other companies.
Also, on this point of radiation. I have read some articles that some food produced around the Fukushima Daiichi had high levels of radiation. I also heard a professor state that even water has been contaminated in Tokyo. This will be important for us to stay informed about as we eat and drink in Japan.
Post a Comment