By Xinhua

People’s Daily Online

In Ulan Bator, the capital of Mongolia, the Mongolian government and the U.S. Department of Defense met to go over the third phase of the annual "Gobi Wolf" disaster management exercise. Mongolia is a country where there is potential for a major natural or man-made disaster and the disaster management exercise is a plan that will be implemented in the event of a disaster. In the past year Mongolia has experienced more than 30 earthquakes with magnitude of over 3.8. The exercise will last 11 days, and personnel evacuation and rescue in schools and hospitals will be the focus in case of disaster. This is already the third year of the conference so it is not in response to the disaster in Japan but the discussion should include things they could possibly do better or be more prepared. It will be interesting to see how the members in Mongolia have responded to the disaster in Japan, it could very likely be the case that the members are already prepared for hard times as we have been asked to be.

Sam Gardner

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

2 comments:

Tyson Bryan said...

Sam,

I had no idea that Mongolia had that many natural disasters. I dont know about you but I have been very fortunate living in Vegas and Utah and not having to experience any of that. Hopefully, Mongolia as a nation can learn from the Japanese and see what they can do to be more prepared

Steven Hall said...

I agree with Tyson, I think perhaps sometimes myself and many people in Utah are not too concerned about natural disasters because we never experience any earthquakes or anything. While I don't think we need to be anxious or worried, I do think we need to make sure that we don't let complacency prevent us from following the counsel of prophets to be prepared and establish a food storage. Danger comes in thinking that it could never happen to us. For years now geologists have said that Utah is overdue for a major earthquake. I guess if you are prepared you shall not fear right?

Post a Comment