Abattoir workers get fat rise
Over 100 Sheung Shui slaughterhouse workers are slated to receive a 16% pay increase when a new minimum wage goes into effect in May. A representative from the Federation of Trade Unions explains that although the wages are still very low, workers are satisfied with the increase. Protestors from the Hong Kong Trade Union Council are marching near HSBC and Central Government offices to raise awareness for how low-paid workers are mistreated.
I find this interesting because this shows the other side of Hong Kong from a lot of what I had read. I have become familiar with the rising middle class and the rising wealthy, but haven’t heard much about the poor. It will be interesting to see class distinction in Hong Kong and to compare it with the disparity of classes in mainland China.

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail.asp?we_cat=4&art_id=109850&sid=31926084&con_type=1&d_str=20110406&fc=4

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

1 comments:

Amie said...

That's a really interesting article. I'm glad to see they are getting a pay increase. Although it may not correlate to a large dollar amount, a 16% increase is really big.

Post a Comment